Any space can be stylish regardless of size. Smaller space doesn’t mean less style and creativity. In fact, having less space to work with means using your imagination and creativity to its full extent. A functional space doesn’t have to compromise on style. Here are some tips to personalizing any small space:
1. Colours – be consistent and use colours and tones that blend evenly. Stick with a simple colour scheme throughout the space. This will make the space feel bigger. Consider the colour of your floor, and incorporate that with the colour scheme.
2. Practicality – Today’s condos for example, are not necessarily designed to house a formal dining table, 3-seater sofas, and big dressers. Consider functionality when choosing your furniture.
3. Grandeur – Add the illusion of a big space by adding floor to ceiling artworks, wall mirrors, or headboards to the room. This adds the illusion of more space, without actually taking up more space.
4. Mobility – Invest in furniture pieces that travel well. Rugs, lamps, artwork, armchairs that can be moved easily are must-haves for small spaces. Mobility allows you to revitalize a room by having the ability to move things around when wanted.
5. Soft Look – Create a pleasing look by matching the drapery with the colour of your wall. Have your drapery a shade darker or lighter than the walls, to add a flowing look that enlarges the feeling of the space.
6. Wood Theme – stick to one particular colour scheme that goes with your wooden furniture and floor. Dark wood floor and furniture usually feels masculine and sophisticated, while lighter wood floor and furniture usually feels more feminine, casual, and fun.
7. Mirrors – Mirrors create the illusion of more space. If placed near a window, it allows more natural light into the space. Long vertical standing mirrors are great for long narrow spaces.
8. Area Rugs – Create small spaces within the overall spaces by using area rugs. They help define each space and its particular use. You can use them to define living space, dining space, and office space.
9. Technology – Check out new technologies. Flat screen TVs and other sleek devices give you more room in the space. They also serve as works of art in some cases.
10. Storage – Use functional storage kits to hide away little things and big things specially in the office and in the family room. Storage boxes are great for de-cluttering small spaces. They can easily be personalized as well depending on individual style.