If you’ve ever had the chance to travel to Europe, you will know the classic, ‘Old World’ style that it has. It is a preserved elegance that has been around for hundreds of years. It goes beyond the classic architectures and old stone, cobble roads. It is classic elegance that radiates from the people. Even if you’ve only visited once or a twice, there is no mistaking the feeling of being in Europe compared to anywhere else in the world. If you’ve been smitten by Europe, here are a few tips to bring European romance to your home without breaking the bank:
- Out with the carpets! Get rid of your wall-to-wall carpets, and install hard wood floor. Polish hardwood floor until it looks elegant. Finish things off with an area rug, from Europe if possible. You can easily divide spaces using area rugs, and they make for interesting eye flow.
- Add elegance to your walls by using gold hues for paint. Combine it with soft, cream trim for additional effect. Use textures to add even more interest to your wall surface.
- Incorporate furniture from different eras and parts of Europe. Wrought iron for example, is reminiscent of the French countryside. Dark, heavy, intricately carved wooden pieces are more Gothic. Unfinished light-toned wooden furniture is evocative of Tuscan style. Leaves and scrolls adorned furniture are reminiscent of the Rococo period that’s eclectic and contemporary.
- Add fabrics to the motif of your room. Dark, velvety fabrics can be used for your drapery or upholstery. This gives a very formal and stately Victorian feel. Add light and bright fabrics for a more French countryside look.
- Antique or vintage pieces can easily add the European feel that you need. Iron wrought candlestick holders, stone or marble busts, rustic light fixtures all add to a European atmosphere. Even just a vintage antique looking chandelier can turn your room into an instant classic European space.
Consult with Parsons Interiors, Jackie Connolly at 905.271.4224 or email at email@example.com to analyze your space and determine how you can add your worldly travel experiences into your home.